we’ve been journeying towards a minimalist lifestyle for 16 months. we’ve completed our initial sweep of our home. we’ve even completed secondary sweeps of some rooms in our home. but there are some battles that never seem to end.
here is a list of some of our minimalist struggles:
- clothes/shoes. i wish i could blame this solely on growing children, but unfortunately the closets in our master bedroom tell a different story. our clothing purchases have slowed down (spending is down 25% from last year) but our closets and hangars continue to fill up.
- toys. i’m not even sure where they keep coming from, but our toyroom fills up with toys as often as our gas tank is filled up with gas.
- school paperwork. with one son in 1st grade and one daughter in preschool, everyday welcomes a new painting, drawing, math paper, reading sheet, or note from the teacher. knowing what to keep for memories and what to discard is an almost impossible task.
- mail/magazines/newspapers/financial documents. the constant barrage of paperwork results in piles of paper on our desk, our kitchen counter, and our recycle bin.
- condiments. still guilty.
battles, of course, force one of two responses: you can retreat or you can fight. we’ll keep battling. after all, nobody said this would be easy.