I spent last weekend in Portland, OR attending the World Domination Summit. It is, without a doubt, my favorite conference to attend and quite possibly, one of the greatest weekend conferences available today.
I attend each year for the community—the people motivate me, help me, and change me. I enjoyed great food and wonderful conversations with friends, both old and new.
But I also attend WDS for the amazing speakers and inspiration. The conference is built on community, adventure, and service. Each speaker contributes to one of the three themes. Through the years, WDS speakers have changed me in significant ways. This year was no different.
There are numerous blog posts written that contain detailed notes from each of the presentations. But I wanted to personally record the insights I gleaned during the weekend. Each of the speakers live a remarkable life in his or her own way—and I have much to learn from them.
These insights represent the specific motivation that was resonating in my heart during each of the 11 presentations. I include them here in this public forum to remind myself of the lessons learned and to challenge each of us to live bold lives.
11 Bold Steps Taken by Remarkable People
1. Go big. Remarkable people dream big dreams for their lives. They do not settle for mediocrity or unintentionality. They refuse to settle for excuses. They stand up, step out, and get moving. They understand it is “easier to act your way into a new way of thinking, than think your way into a new way of acting.” Inspiration: A.J. Jacobs
2. Declare their dreams. There is significant power in bold declarations. Speaking our hopes and dreams move them into the physical world where they begin to take substance—and result in increased accountability. While not every next step will be taken perfectly, sharing your dreams often brings the motivation to begin taking action. And imperfect action is always better than inaction. Inspiration: Jadah Sellner
3. Use their talents. We are beautifully and wonderfully made with talents and gifts and potential. Remarkable people believe this to be true of themselves and others. And when they do, they find great joy and peace in the lives they have been given. They work to develop their talents. And they look for opportunities to make the most of them. Inspiration: Gavin Aung Than
4. Speak their voice. Each of our voices are distinct and deserve to be heard. We need all different types of voices to offer hope and life to our world. Remarkable people do not silence their voice or change it to sound like all the others. Instead, they find it, embrace it, and use it for good. Inspiration: Shannon Galpin
5. Identify lifestyle drift and realign. Unintentionality will always derail a remarkable life. The world is full of distractions and temptations. As a result, those who do not take the time to align their lives with their greatest purpose will never fully realize it. Instead, their lives drift into mediocrity. People who live remarkable lives routinely check their momentum and their motivation—keeping both in a proper place. Inspiration: Michael Hyatt
6. Choose the path of greatest contribution. Most people choose the easy route—the path of least resistance is well-worn at both work and home. But remarkable people choose a different path. They choose the route of greatest contribution and greatest significance. They know it will require hard work and dedication. They know it will be lonely at times. But they are moved forward by their desire for contribution. Inspiration: Saki Mafundikwa
7. Remove distraction. Money and entertainment and leisure call for our attention. Distractions surface on televisions, computers, billboards, and magazines. People who live remarkable lives seek to remove them—ruthlessly. When the mediocre has been removed, excellence remains. Inspiration: Dee Williams
8. Be bothered. Our world is full of injustice. Children and women and even entire civilizations are often mistreated by those who abuse their power. People who accomplish remarkable things take notice and allow injustice to move them. They do not ignore it. They do not excuse it. They choose to stand against it. Inspiration: John Francis
9. Dare to attempt. Nobody avoids failure their entire lives. But not everybody is defined by it. Remarkable lives are accomplished by those who dare to attempt regardless of the outcome. And when failure occurs, they dare to attempt again. Inspiration: Elise Blaha Cripe
10. Do the work. Living a remarkable life takes effort and work. It requires a conscious decision to consume less and create more. The days are short and our years pass quickly. Those who want to create something remarkable choose to spend their precious hours doing the work and contributing to the world around them. Inspiration: Scott Berkun
11. Never give up their power of choice. The only people who can change the world are people who want to. And not everybody does. The power of choice can never be taken from us. We may not be able to change our circumstance, but we can always choose our response to it. In life, to live is to retain the power of choice. Remarkable people know this and choose wisely. Inspiration: John Jantsch
Be bold. Be remarkable.
Image: Chris Guillebeau