Late last year, we founded and launched a nonprofit organization called The Hope Effect.
From the very beginning, we have dreamed big dreams for this company. Our mission is to “change orphan care around the world by focusing on solutions that better mimic the family.”
Decades worth of research indicate traditional, institutional-style orphanages with large child to adult ratios are failing those they desire to help. When children do not receive adequate personal interaction within a loving environment, development is stunted and learning abilities are delayed or lost. Kids are “aging out” behind in almost every stage of human development.
To foster better solutions for orphaned children, we are building smaller housing units—providing individual homes for 2 parents and 8 orphans. In this way, children receive the love and attention and affection they would in a family and are provided an example of how a family functions for when they start their own.
On November 1, 2015, The Hope Effect was launched.
To say the public’s response to our work has been positive would be an understatement. In less than four months:
- We have raised over $110,000 from 1,000 different supporters.
- We have fully funded and broken ground on our first project: a family-style home on the campus of La Providencia in Honduras.
- In partnership with KZ Architecture, we have started architectural design for future construction.
- We have begun the process of finding personnel and researching land options for the construction of our first full-fledged orphan-care campus.
We have accomplished quite a lot in just our first 15 weeks. But there is much left to do!
So this Spring, we invite you to partner with us to change how the world cares for orphans by hosting a garage sale.
The concept is very simple: Commit to clearing the excess clutter from your home. Then, host a garage sale. Using the flyers and posters that we provide, promote your sale in your local community. Using your personalized campaign page, donate 100% (or a portion) of the proceeds to The Hope Effect.
Our goal is to host 250 garage sales this Spring. Tell us you are participating by following this link and clicking the “Become a Fundraiser” button. Your excess can become provision for a child in need.
If buying stuff hasn’t made you happy, maybe selling it will. (tweet that)
Or, you can participate/contribute in other ways:
- By committing at least $10 per month, you can join our $10 Team of 250+ recurring donors.
- Whether selling things or not, you can always make a one-time donation.
- We depend on private donors and corporate sponsors to cover our administrative costs so that 100% of donations can be used directly for orphan care. If you would like to support our work in this way, you can do so here.
- Follow the Hope Effect on Facebook and Twitter.
Small acts, when multiplied by thousands of people, can transform the world. Thank you for providing yours.